Tuesday, June 30, 2009

How to assist children in the play process (part 2)

5. Monitor the progress of play.

Watch the children as they play. While watching them think about ways that you can suggest. It is important to make sure you are not too intrusive during their play. You also don’t want to make to many suggestions because although there are ways to extend the play, the children need to be able to play.

As a teacher I can watch the children and offer help if needed. I can help children who are not playing a distinctive role or who can’t stay in a role. If a see children who aren’t talking to each other during play, I can help the children by developing a play plan.

6. Coach individuals who may need help.

As a teacher you need to watch for children who avoid the play are and help support them. When supporting the child you can give them help in joining the group, accepting new ideas and including new partners.

As a teacher I need to be aware of the levels that the children are at. If a child needs help joining the group or taking their imagination to the next level, I can support them in that quest.

7. Suggest or model how themes can be woven together.

As a teacher you can read or act out stories with different variations or themes. This helps add to the imaginary context for a child who is not verbalizing yet.

I can make sure the children’s environment is rich in different types of literacy that can be read and acted out. If I see a child who is not verbalizing or needs help I can ask questions that may help them extend their play.


8. Model appropriate ways to solve disputes.

Model ways to solve disputes between children, this allows children to visualize and reenact problem solving skills. Assist children with poor social skills, so that they can learn appropriate problem solving skills.

As a teacher I can model behavior that allows the children to solve problems safely and effectively. If I feel that a child needs help verbalizing, I can assist them in attaining the beginnings of these skills.


9. Encourage children to mentor each other in play.


Allow the children to share their evolved skills with children who are emerging in this area. Having a mixed age group is ideal, since the younger children watch and learn a lot from the older children.


As a family childcare provider, I am blessed with a mixed age group, I see the children learning from each other and teaching the younger children.

No comments: